Thursday, October 11, 2018

Atlanta | Why You Should Love Her

I didn't always, but today, I love this city. I've seen it grow, change and evolve in ways I could have never imagined - but that are in all ways simply beautiful! 

I spent most of my early career overseas and out on the West Coast, so when I came back home, it was a big surprise to find how many people had moved here: the film industry that seemed to have followed me back from Hollywood and after traveling the world, it was amazing to see the truly international city we'd become as the title-holder of "world's busiest airport." 

Since becoming a global citizen, along with falling back in love with Atlanta and what she's become, I'm personally committed to continuing Atlanta's evolution as a key economic development hub. And at a personal level, I love just watching the integration and understanding from our rich, highly-diverse backgrounds and cultures come together and create such a unique, dynamic city! I feel the changes that have taken place help people come to know one another, work together, respect each other and make things happen for the greater good on a level that other cities and states just don't have or can't do. We can cross the party lines to get things done in ways other local government can't. 

Another thing to note: we have the largest refugee resettlement population here nationally and do an excellent job at integrating refugees into our very productive economic engine. Almost 100% are employed upon arrival.

And yes, reading this, you might think I'm a Democrat as many women are expected to be (which is #bullshit, as women can think for themselves!), but no, I am a conservative and a Republican. One that believes in polices over rhetoric and outright lies. And if you were an actual Stacy Abrams who believed what I believe in terms of policy, I'd vote for you too! 

If you want to know, I was more aligned with Carlie Fiorina and what I thought she represented: the Iron Woman, Margret Thatcher, who I wanted to see become President. I believe in policies that support a highly-effective economy because the economy controls all - literally ever aspect - of our lives, and the policies that give us greater opportunities and access to jobs are that of the Republican Party's ideals. 

In fact, business owners have resorted to what they say is "battening down the hatches" when tyhe administration changes to a Democratic Party.  have always felt that this one aspect: the one of learning and knowing and growing out of a diversity of minds, hearts and spirits not only creates a stronger economy locally, but also makes us better people in the end. My friends and I always joke that ......

I think, diversity is, in and of itself, what I think defines who we are as a city and that it is our strength. I also think that it is a blessing that if, in this town, you need a job to make your rent - there is absolutely nothing preventing you from finding a job the day you need it! I am so grateful for that and our very healthy economy. 

Interestingly enough, I've learned from several C-suite decision makers is that one of the reasons some of our Fortune 500 company HQ (which provides so many jobs) have chosen our state and city to move to is because of the balanced politics we have between the state and city level. 

What it boils down to: if you are too red, you can't truly bring counties/districts together to support expansions of rail systems or convince tax payers to pay taxes to make integration projects (like transport expansion projects happen), and if you are too blue, you can over-tax and over-regulate to the point that you cause businesses to seek other regions, which accounts for many company moves.

I love being invited to celebrate Persian culture at the Persian Festival and the following weekend, celebrate Latin culture, Greek culture, and so on! I love that I can explore and learn through so many people the different histories and cultures of others without really ever having to leave (though I do, of course, since flights are so cheap out of here!). But most of all, its the "celebration" aspect of our differences that is truly so endearing to me.

I also love seeing and knowing, as a native Atlantan, that from the very beginning - from the days we were know as "Terminus", nothing more than intersecting rail lines - that we have always seen and known a pattern of continual "resurgence": meaning, we have always in some way known our own potential to become a great city and our ability to overcome - to possess a great resilience throughout all of the challenges we've faced. 

I literally have no doubt in my mind at this point that we will see Atlanta "rise up" again sooner, rather than later, and overcome (like we always do) some of those lingering issues we all face: such as transit issues the water fight, among all of the other pressing issues that we currently face as the pinnacle of the nation's most innovative cities. Knowing and loving Atlanta, I believe we will be defined as the phoenix we've always been: one of the most able cities to overcome (as has been our history) and find some of the most creative solutions - highly innovative ideas/proof of concepts - to typical metropolitan issues - that can further be replicated throughout our nation.

Atlanta has risen to become not only an international city, but also a innovator in overcoming state, local and city issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment